Martin on myths

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:21:11 +0800

        I find myself compelled to praise Martin Laurie on not one but two counts.
His story was excellent and thought provoking - bravo! And I agree with almost every word of his recent 'what is a myth' posting, and he put it extremely well.

        A couple of comments though
>The whole point of a myth is that it defines an aspect of social behaviour -
>myths being stories which have a point in relation to the good and bad ways of
>functioning within society.

        there are other functions to myths in Glorantha, though. Myths in Glorantha also are a way of defining/ explaining magical paths. The myths of the major religions combine this function with defining society.

>Basically I think the God Learners had a realisation - that Gods don't really
>exist as anything other than powers and powers can be tapped.

        Two comments -
        1) I don't think they always 'tapped'. But exploited. You don't eat
your pack horse.
        2) I don't think the Godlearners were absolutely correct - there is
a transcendent aspect to the gods as well as the power, but I don't think any of them noticed.

        Cheers

                 David