Orlanthi Age

From: Nick_Brooke_at_deloitte.touche.co.uk
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 16:59:47 GMT

Lewis writes:

> I can't remember any evidence that the Orlanthi had the concept of people
> dieing from the aging process before the Dawn.

Maybe not dying from it, but Orlanth takes over as leader from Umath when Umath gets so old and weak he's unable to do it himself (cf. KoS Orlanthi Mythology, IIRC). There's no implication that Umath is wounded or crippled by anything other than age, I believe.

Isn't Malia said to be the goddess of Death By Old Age in "Cults of Terror" (along with her better-known aspects)?

> Is there any evidence (especially from an Orlanthi POV) that people
> died of Old Age before the Dawn.

Not from an Orlanthi POV, but I'm certain the Malkioni noticed that people were growing old and dying during the Ice Age. (The Brithini noticed that only naughty people were... but that's another story). To posit that there was no aging (and therefore no difference between Brithini and Malkioni) before the Dawn would bugger up much of my work on the pre-Dawn evolution of Western thought (cf. my homepage articles for details).

Danny Bourne mused:
>> The Chaos Gods are not bound to the Compromise. The gods agreed to the
>> Compromise to be able to keep Chaos at bay, and as long as they keep to
>> the Compromise, the Chaos Gods have limited possibilities to act in
>> Glorantha.

> If this is so, then aren't the chaos hating Orlanthi playing into the
> hands of the chaos gods during the Hero Wars when Argrath & Harrek
> destroy the Lunars?

Yes, absolutely. This has been covered before on this list, and is one of the most delightful reasons to support the Lunar Way. (Anyone wanting a re-post of Orlanth's family tree is welcome to ask).

Nick <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>