Yelm

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:45:15 +0800

> Is cult of Murharzarm cult of Yelm Imperator (in GoG) , really ?

        Murharzarm is the first great emperor, and those in the Yelm Imperator want to be as much like him as possible. Those in Yelm Imperator don't worship Murharzarm, but they do want to be like him.

        The rest is just words - I don't think they would use the term 'cult of Murharzarm'. But they might say something like 'following Murharzarm' or something like that.

> If so, is cult of Shargah cult of Yelm the Warrior ?

        No. The cult of Shargash is quite different. It is not a sub-cult of Yelm, but a separate cult (but one that is associated with Yelm, and the Shargashi do what the Yelmites say). It is a cult with violent berserk warrior aspects, and is also the great god who protects Alkoth.

> Is cult of Antirius Yelm the Elder (or variation of Yelmalio cult) ?

        Its definately not Yelm the Elder.
       The Yelm cult talks about both the stages of Yelms progress, and
also about the parts of Yelm. They are very different concepts. The parts are the different bits that Yelm separated into when he disintegrated (after Murharzarms death). Antirius is a part, not a stage. The mythology of Antirius has many thing in common with Yelmalio - notably the Hill of Gold, and both protected their worshippers in the Great Darkness. But its a part of the Yelm cult, not a separate cult - at least in Dara Happa.

        Antirius is probably closer to Yelm the Warrior than any other stage, though.

> I've thought cult of Yelm in GoG is cult of Kargzant.

        I think its Yelm rather than Kargzant myself. Its the same as the longer form Yelm writeup (which was published somewhere), and that seems to be mostly the Pelorian. Its a God Learnerised writeup, which attempts to cover about four different cultures ideas of Yelm, but the associate and sub cults seem to be predominantly Pelorian.

        Of course, given that the cult writeup was written before we got GRoY and the other solar material, I imagine it would be pretty different if it was redone now.

        Cheers

                David