Last reply to Peter Metcalfe

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:07:27 -0500

This really is my last post on this subject and I apologize if anyone has been insulted or bored.

Peter Metcalfe

>Ignorance is truely bliss. Socrates was condemned because his brand
>of philosophy had produced such fine athenians such as Critias and
>Acliabades. Aristophanes had done more to antagonize the establishment
>of Athens than Socrates ever did and yet lived to die at a ripe old age.
>If you don't know who the people I mentioned are then look it up and
>start reading before go making inane presumptions like Athens was a
>Fascist City in the Dark Ages or all authorities sought to clamp down
>on individual thought. And as for Galileo, what happened to his ideas?

Thank you for the personal insults Peter, it's nice to know I've been matching wits with such a mature person. And please don't accuse me of being overly sensitive. I'm glad you don't make inane assumptions as to just what point I'm trying to make. I guess my degree in history and my two years pre-masters work in Classics makes me too poorly read for you. I never said Athens was a fascist city. Aristophanes was operating in the venue of the comedic theatre which gave him the sacred right to make a mockery of whatever he wanted within that venue. There's a big difference between being an influence in your own time and long after you've died. How much credence was Galileo given in his time? When did the Pope forgive him?  Wasn't it earlier this year?

Me

Peter>>Codswallop. It's quite a big one. I strongly dislike it because
>>>in the 1500+ years of Dara Happan Society, *someone* is bound to
>>>spill the beans that their imperial theology is based on the
>>>gloranthan equivalent of the Donation of Constantine.

Me
>>Hah. Don't forget Goebbels(?) "No lie succeeds like a Big Lie." (Badly
>misquoted)
>>>1) Egypt-thousands of years of history-Pharoah is the living God.
>>2) The Roman Empire 500 years or so of the Emperor as God.
>>3) Over 1900 years of the Catholic Church-the Pope is God's right hand
man.
>>4) Any religion-there are gods.

>Look up the distinction between beliefs based on material facts and
>beliefs based upon faith. You are trying to prove that the belief
>that Yelm Priests do not believe in the Compromise is false is like
>saying that the Jewish belief that the Jesus is not the Messiah is a
>lie (except for of course the elders of zion who have a little piece
>of paper showing that Jesus was divine as per your beliefs about the
>Yelm high priest). You are in effect appealing to somebody else's
>faithly belief (There is a Compromise) to show the first faithly
>belief (There is No Compromise) is a lie. Hereth endth your free clue.

Sigh. NO I AM NOT. What I am saying is this. Any belief structure can be based and can operate on what are falsehoods. Maybe not to the belief in question but to a hypothetical impartial observer-could you find one. The whole religious/social structure of the sun worshippers could be based on the premise that their god is all powerful when he/she/it is not. As far as they're concerned he/she/it is. What I have been trying to say is that they're could very well be some elite or core within the faith that are aware of this fact. Fine, so what. Doesn't change a damn thing. BTW to hell with the compromise-I accept that it's just an Orlanthi myth.

>>There probably were periods of dissent and cries of Yelm isn't almighty.
>>Quickly followed by purges and shushing up of the whole business. Why on
>>Glorantha would they write down that these sorts of events occurred?

>Because they have. It's in the Fortunate Succession.

Fine I stand corrected.

>>As far as some people's tendencies to try and explain all Gloranthan
>>activities, i.e. the origins of the gods, etc. in RW terms assuming that
>>Glorantha works just like the RW this just makes me sad.

>Fine. Just don't read the Entekosiad, it will break your heart.

Hardly. I don't what to say to this other than I guess this proves that Glorantha is just the Earth with magic after all instead of some place fundamentally different.

And now it really is time to drop this subject.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca