Invisible God (*not* Time)

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:34:51 +0000

Thank you for for arsing up your quote -- it was me who said that :)

>God Learner: Invisible God, Creator, Cosmic Dragon, Glorantha, Arachne
>Solara--they're all the same.

No, they're not. Well, not IMO anyhow. Glorantha and Arachne SOlara can be more or less equated (more less than more, though), and we have seen the effects of this deity upon the Cosmos -- she made Time, she ruled the Celestial Court, she was there to restart Time at Sunstop etc.... The Cosmic Dragon obviously exists (ask a Dragonewt) and the Creator is just another word for IG AFAIK (any Malkioni buffs wish to prove me wrong?).

IMG the IG has no effect upon the Cosmos -- that's the whole point. Unlike the other deities which everyone *knows* exists ("If Orlanth doesn't exist, where the hell did I summon that Lightning bolt from?"), the IG does not demonstrate any firm evidence of existence. The IG needs *faith*, not worship. The IG is, IMO, very close to our own RW "God", all miracles are met with possibilities on how they were done. If the IG proved his existence, there would be no faith and therefore he would dissappear (in a puff of logic -- as the saying goes).

>One last thought: the great thing about being a God Learner is that we had
>such an influence on everyone's cults that they have a very hard time
>figuring out what is their own and what is God Learning. We are fnord
>everywhere.

Not quite true -- they never penetrated into Dara Happa, and I'm not so sure about Pent. I think Vormain is safe, but don't quote me on that either. However I do believe the GL affected most religions across the Mundane Plane of Glorantha, especially Orlanthi.

>Stepping from GL to GM: I really dislike the all-too-realistic idea that
>Orlanth was one or more normal folks way back when and because a God through
>the magical effects of worship. One may as well start discussing the
>evolution of Dragons from fish.

I agree. Just because it sounds more realistic, and perhaps more evolutionary, doesn't mean it's true. Perhaps, just perhaps, they were just powerful gods roaming the Earth doing exactly what the myths said. Although the idea of Orlanth as a hero is appealing, the resultant train of thought is quite intresting. Perhaps Humakt was the first Murderer, an outcast of the Orlanthi family trying to get back into the clan by murdering prominent nobles? Since he was cast out he would have, effectively, severed all ties with his family, just like in the myth. Also, if he was a very good assassin he may later have redeemed himself in the period known as the Darkness, and thus been awarded a place in the Orlanthi Pantheon. As non-mystical as this may sound, it's very, very intresting.... anyone have any ideas on who might believe this sort of thing?

Just my two bisons worth,

Nick E.

Nick the Shaman of Thed
E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff
I thought Britain was Dorastor without broo, but then Sandy made it all clear to me.