Belief in the RW vs G

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:42:00 -0800

Oliver:
> Working from the supposition that in our world the
only way you can accept a religion is through faith (if this is even true)

Quite arguable, IMO. In the RW, most western religions make a big deal about faith, but I don't think many others do. Not all religions insist on a detailed and exclusive dogma which is (by its own definition) best for everyone.

>what would it be like to live in a world like Glorantha where there is
tangible evidence of the divine? It would really IMO be a different kettle
of fish than our own situation.

Just imagine what it's like for people in the RW who have seen (to them) tangible elements of the divine. It provides great joy and confidence, and sometimes, great commitment to purpose. Now, if you are talking about Gloranthans who believe that their gods have petty personalities and are quick to inflict punishment, (much like the popular modern conception of the ancient Greek gods), you get fear and desperate actions as well. Examples are the proprietary worship of the Malign Earth, Subere, Shargash, etc., or the strict adherence to geasa for cults like Yelmalio and Humakt.

But, to answer your basic question, I think that Gloranthans would have an easier time accepting various cult dogmas than many modern western people do. Deistic Gloranthans regularly see the effects of their deities, which approach the replicability of scientific discoveries in our world. The western dichotomy between science/ reason and belief/faith isn't often present in deistic Glorantha.

Pam

 If this is too contentious a point let me know and I'll keep my mouth shut.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca