Gods and Sorcerers

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 11:02:12 GMT

Philip Hibbs he say:

> This is a point that I try to get across to my players - that a sorceror
> certainly *believes* in a god, in that (s)he accepts that it has some form of
> existence, but that is distinct from *worshipping* a god or believeing that that
> god had merit.

This reminds me of Terry Pratchett's remarks on his wizards' attitude to gods. They know the gods are there, just as they know the kitchen table is there. But they would no more think of worshipping the gods than they would think of crying "Oh, mighty kitchen table without whom we are as nothing....."

He also adds that despite this Unseen U has a chapel, because although the wizards don't 'believe' in the gods, they know that the gods do.

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.