Proof of the divine?

From: Simon D. Hibbs <simon_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:19:01 +0000 (GMT)

Oliver D. Bernuetz :

>Now another question. Working from the supposition that in our world the
>only way you can accept a religion is through faith (if this is even
>true) what would it be like to live in a world like Glorantha where
>there is tangible evidence of the divine? It would really IMO be a
>different kettle of fish than our own situation. If this is too
>contentious a point let me know and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I have heard this question a few times before. Personaly I don't think it makes the blindest bit of difference. What you are forgetting is that, for the vast majority of 'True Believers' throughout history and the present day, they realy do believe that they have incontrovertible direct evidence of the truth of their beliefs.

  1. The liquifaction of the blood of St Genarro (sic?) in Naples.
  2. Faith healing.
  3. The appearance of stigmata.

etc, etc..

The only problem is that you don't accept their proofs as valid. Exactly the same thing happens in Glorantha. Different people will put forward their own interpretations.