Belief

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_mail.geocities.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:02:20 -0800 (PST)

Peter M:

>Merely the fact that a Godi prayed to Orlanth for a thunderbolt
>and was rewarded does not prove that what the Godi believes about
>Orlanth is true (or whether 'Orlanth' has a concrete existance
>independant of his worshippers). All the impartial observer can
>conclude is that the Godi has interacted with the Otherworld using
>the spiritual beliefs of his culture to call down a lightning bolt.

This is beginning to smell of sophistry.

>Thus I do not view Glorantha in terms of independant gods but rather
>in terms of cultural groups interacting with their environment and
>each other. It makes better history for starters IMO.

Tastes vary. To me that makes a less interesting mythical world.

P.S. My usual POP3 server has deigned to deliver the Digest to me for some time. I have pretty much given up on it and subscribed from another of my mail accounts. There may be some stupid trailer attached automatically to this. My apologies to the readers if that is the case.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind Email: nilsw_at_ibm.net |
WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/