STARRY WISDOM: a new Chaosium newsletter

From: BiturianV_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 23:08:08 -0500

There's a new Chaosium newsletter called STARRY WISDOM. The first issue includes a letter from Greg Stafford about Chaosium's history, a couple pages of T/F/R/B/A rumors from me detailing our current Gloranthan plans, and lots of MYTHOS card game stuff.

Officially, STARRY WISDOM is the journal of the newly forming Cult of Chaos
(yeah, I remember that CULTS OF TERROR said you should never play any of the
Chaotic cultists, but no one ever pays attention to warning stickers, right?). You'll have to join the Cult of Chaos to receive issue #2 and up, but issue #1 is going to be widely distributed.

Any of you Glorantha people who want to receive a copy should send me e-mail with your name and address. Use the subject line STARRY WISDOM FREEBIE so I'll know what to do with your message. Send the request to me at BiturianV_at_aol.com

If you're considering joining the Cult of Chaos, read the clipped-on message below from Dustin Wright, Starry Wisdom's editor, to find out what you get. I expect we'll put a little Glorantha information into each issue, but probably not huge amounts.

FYI, The Cult of Chaos costs $25.00 to join in the United States, $30.00 if you're in Canada, and $35.00 to addresses in other nations. All payments in US dollars of course, checks and credit cards are fine.

Send any Cult of Chaos sign-ups to:

Chaosium
Cult of Chaos
950 56th Street
Oakland, CA 94608

.... and don't forget to let us know which of the two available bonus magazines you want a subscription to.

.. . . . . . and by the by, I should mention that the Cult of Chaos wasn't intended to cause any confusion for Ingo Tschinke, Scott Knowles and the Chaos-Society. Looks like we Chaosium people thought along the same lines as the FreeINT and RQ-Society folks.

Later,
Rob Heinsoo
  Glorantha developer

CULT of CHAOS Writeup!!

Join our CULT OF CHAOS! All members will be sent four issues of STARRY WISDOM, the journal of the Cult of Chaos. Each season cultists will be updated on the latest rumors, con events, MYTHOS tournaments, game tips, albino penguin sightings, insights into the shrouded inner workings of Chaosium, and other elder secrets human-kind was not meant to know.

Cultists of the outer circle will also receive:

A Cool Magazine Subscription:
Each initiate will be invested with a free subscription to either Inquest
(CCG focus) or SHADIS magazine (rpg focus). Subscriptions are for one full
year so that Chaos Cultist can keep up with what everyone else in the industry is doing...

Cult Discount:
Each member gets a 10% discount on all purchases through the Wizards Attic mail order catalog on Wizards Attic merchandise (marked with WA product codes). Wizards Attic carries limited edition Gloranthan scholarly works, Gloranthan game supplements, Cthulhu mythos fiction from small press companies like Arkham House, jewelry, Cthulhu idols, a host of chaotic items for the discriminating cultist. Anyone who isn't interested in joining the cult is welcome to write for a free catalog: Wizards Attic, 950 56th street, Oakland, CA 94608.

The Vermillion Road to Priesthood:
Cult of Chaos members have the opportunity to rise through the ranks to become Chaos Acolytes or Priests by running game demos and tournaments at  local retail stores, gaming clubs, and conventions. These brothers and sisters will have increased access to the powers of Chaos and shall receive even greater rewards; a MYTHOS t-shirt, demo-kits, and a copy of The Art of Playing MYTHOS. Our missionaries shall also be rewarded with a Chaosium gift certificate, otherwise known as Chaos Bucks; for each gathering they preside over. Armed with such rainment and knowledge they shall walk among the sleepers and show them the paths to Chaos.

More:
It has been said that the nature of Chaos is unpredictability. Even so, Starry Wisdom shall keep you abreast of new rewards and opportunities as the lords of Chaos grant them. Furthermore, cultists will occasionally discover strange and wonderful things in their mailbox... AVE DEMENTIA!

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #4