Re: Jim Chapin's comments V4 #8

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 01:30:27 +1100

G'day all,

Jim Chapin's comments V4 #8

Jim Chapin:
>A few comments:

>1. I was rather amused that Martin Laurie and MOB, who between them
>have provided us detailed accounts of necrophilia, coprophilia, murder,
>incest, disembowlings and various kinds of human sacrifice, as well as
>mild flame wars over both Onslaught and the Vadeli, can join hands in
>finding, respectively, the nature of the posting and the type of the
>posting to be in "extemely poor taste." Guess it proves Nat Hentoff's
>point that everyone favors some kind of censorship.

Uncle Jim! Please note that the objection I made about the post yesterday was that it was sent *anonymously*. I believe if you post here, you should be prepared to stand behind what you say, whether it be in "extremely poor taste" (someone else's words, not mine) or not.

If the person had sent in wholesome recipes for Alkothi Chicken Curry I may still have chided them for hiding behind a false address.

I deliberately chose not to comment on the actual content of the anonymous post at all.

Given that the tabloid press appear to be in a frenzy and sniffing around for blood, at this time I can certainly do without being linked by name to "detailed accounts of necrophilia, coprophilia, murder, incest, disembowlings and various kinds of human sacrifice" on the internet, thankyou very much.

In fact (snooping reporters take note!), if you care to look back through the archives, you'll find that I argued *against* prurient accounts which take lascivious pleasure in describing necrophilia etc. for its own sake being posted here.

>[points 2 - 5 deleted]

>6. While I do not believe that it was inappropriate to put this news item
>on the list, David Cheng is surely right that further discussion is
>inappropriate...

Yeah right, nice to make this *point number 6* of lengthy post after you've aired your views about the issue in detail! Give us a break...

>...and that we should all remember the phrase "innocent until proven
>guilty."

I agree absolutely, and I sincerely hope that he is innocent.

Now, having said more than I wanted to on this issue, unless I am accused of abominable crimes like tax evasion or bestiality in forthcoming digests I will not be visiting this topic again.

Regards,

MOB