Re: Oliver's Story

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:04:30 -0800

>As a general point - Shannon, can we close the list so that only
>postings from list members (or at least their domains) can be accepted?
>I don't see that that would make a jot of difference to the real content
>of the list, and it would prevent this kind of debacle recurring.

I *can*. In fact, it's quite easy. However, I greatly prefer not to, since I know people occasionally post from alternate addresses/sites, and also that machine/domain names occasionally change... both resulting in people sometimes being unable to post when they'd like to.

As this age of scummy email-marketers, and malicious anonymous-posters slowly increases (and it has, year-by-year), I suppose I will eventually have to push the lists I manage over to only accept postings from list members, but it's something I'd like to put off since it will cause some level of inconvenience to list members. Email on this topic is gladly accepted, but personal email only, please.

Now, I return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of things Gloranthan (hopefully).

Shannon