Gloranthan laws

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:47:00 -0800

David Dunham queries:

>I know various Gloranthan legal systems have been discussed privately, but
I don't think ever posted to the Digest. Hopefully someone who knows more
can enlighten me.

Well, as background for my Dara Happan campaign, I did a bit of digging around on "Assyria Online", among other places, and came across a copy of the Law Codes of Hammurabi. As charmingly detailed, inflexible, and brutal as they were, I figured that just had to be Dara Happan. They cover everything from the famous compensation for loss of eyes and limbs to compensation for the death of borrowed livestock, the rights of returning prisoners of war, the obligations of contract mercenaries, and even penalties imposed on physicians who make mistakes! (Hint to medical students - practice on slaves, it's cheaper!)

Interestingly, in cases where the outcome was unclear - that is, one person's word against another - the usual trial method was to pitch one or both claimants off a bridge spanning the Euphrates. Whoever made it to shore obviously had the divine favor of the river goddess! (This also discouraged spurious lawsuits.)

The laws do give a facinating look at what life must have been like in ancient Mesopotamia.

BTW NIck - excellent review of the Gloranthan/RQ history and available materials!

Pam