Chaos

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:20:32 +0100

Tim:
> Now, we see discussions of the mating strategies of the
> vadeli, and more supplements are dedicated to Chaos than to
> Compromise. What's happened? Has everyone ODed on Lovecraft or
> something?

I think they overdosed on Warhammer instead...

My personal comment on this is: If you want nasty critters to kill (or be killed by), you don't have to make them "chaotic"; there are so many strange beasts in Glorantha that are dangerous to your health anyway.

And if you want to have shadowy cults led by frothing madmen, you don't have to use "chaotic" cults either; just look at Stormbull. (My players have unfound memories of the fanatic Uroxi Wolf Oakman, with the worst Sense Chaos skill in history.)

Sandy once said that a great thing with Glorantha is that there is no "overreaching enemy", not One Big Bad Guy for the whole world. I sort of agree (well, Chaos can be said to be such an enemy) and I too think it is a good thing.

> In
> your game, if the players were going to clean up Dorastor, how could
> they go about it?

Very inefficiently.
I just had a satori: The only ones who could really clean up Dorastor would be the Lunars, with their powerfull magic of mass-destruction. However, to wield it they would have to rely as much on Chaos as the Sartarites think they do, and undoubtly would create as much chaos activity somewhere else as there is in Dorastor now.

So, a counter-question to the question: How many have played a campaign in Dorastor which was really a "we are so tough we can go in there and get out again with some semblance of humanity left" campaign? What was it like (nudge nudge wink wink say no more)?

Erik Sieurin

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #12