Re: Becoming one of the elder races

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:32:12 +0000

Hi All

        All this discussion of joining one of the elder races has started me thinking on what it would take to become a Dwarf or Clay Mostali.

I do not believe that Mostali go in for trollish disection or aldryami replanting.

I guess that they are more interested in the applicant functioning properly
and helping to repair the world machine as a good dwarf should.

My theory is that there are no surgical body modifications. The applicant must first demonstrate there friendship and desire to become a dwarf.
Then they are taught the skills necessary to begin functioning as a very junior
member of the caste that has been chosen for them. Then they are set to work as
a member of the cast. Typically this will envolve tending the same machine on
every work period for a large number of years. This continues until they have
either become a dwarf, got bored and left or died of old age...

I would view the life in tunnels, hard work, lack of sunlight and the diet of
dwarf-food as having something to do with the gradual transformation into
the stumpy, short limbed, sturdy and strong, short sighted, stone boned specicies.

Cheers

        Lewis