Assyria, Propaganda

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:53:16 +0000 (GMT)

Pam Carlson:
> Well, as background for my Dara Happan campaign, I did a bit of digging
> around on "Assyria Online", among other places, and came across a copy
> of the Law Codes of Hammurabi.

Where's that at?

Danny Bourne:
> To try and get a Gloranthan line from this, how do the Lunar Empire spread
> propoganda from Glamour central - do they use broadsheets (given that most
> Orlanthi/Praxians can't read)

Propaganda is a bit anachronistic, surely? I can't really see a Goebbels figure swaying the masses in what is supposed to be the Bronze Age. Within the Glowline of course regular attendants at Lunar temples are going to get a serious dose of the party line.

The problem with broadsheets or their predecessors (popular ballads) is that they open up politics to the general public by inviting them to have an opinion above their station. In a society where the political nation consists of the upper aristocracy only (i.e. anywhwere in Genertela except Wexten) this is a very risky thing to do. Even if you can be sure that the mob will take your side it's still playing with fire. It's much safer to keep the proles in the dark because what they don't know can't hurt them.

The Satar rebels are pretty desperate and represent popular feeling so it makes sense for them to encourage patriotic popular ballads.

However, IMO Lunar efforts at concilliation in Sartar is aimed at people already involved in politics; tribal kings and national cult leaders. If they come across to Lunarism most of their followers will too. Romantic whig crap aside the Anglo-Saxons weren't democratic and neither are the Orlanthi. Illumination is by far the most powerful tool in the Lunar armory in that respect.Then you introduce Penal Laws to deal with recusant barbarians. Fine them something ridiculous say 10,000 L each for refusing to convert. Sell their land to mercenaries behind their backs. Ban them from using magic, owning horses, armour swords, ploughs etc.
Andrew Behan
ajbehan_at_alf2.tcd.ie