Not Easy Being Green

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:18:02 +1100 (EST)

A few days ago someone posed the question of who to become Aldryami (sorry, forgot who). A simmilar topic cam up at Necronomicon, in Sydney, a few years ago, about the method of Pavis's parentage. Having the good fortune of having access to a 'Gregged' answer from our special guest, the answer was vaguely along these lines; (Note there are no gorey details, just a magic description)

*The parents of whishing a child undergo a fertility ritual on a runic level, in which their seperateness's (differences) are shaken off, and their sharedness enhanced. Both the Elf and Man are descended from father mortal, and are stripped back to the man rune for the cross-fertilization to happen.*

I imagine something simmilar would have to happen, on a mythic level, for the character to become an elf. I involves severing, or weakening old runic ties, and forging new ones. Perhaps travelling "back-in-time" (read myth) to change his parents identity, and lay some serious magic down on his infant self, ala "Your not my father... it was really Bruce the Spruce". ;-)

There is also the possibility of sending the person wandering naked in the woods, to starve nd hallucinate on a minor quest, to experience oneness-with-the-woods aftereating some of that special bark. The experience is not neccisarily physical, but essenatilly spiritual, although some orgiastic rebirthing ritual in mud and leaves sounds appropriate. ;-)

I do, like the sound of nailing people to a tree, like something i've been working on... or maybe hanging them from vines like the great scene in Excalibur with all the dead questing knights, the fall down when they're ripe...

Peter T