Rune Master Requirement?

From: Peter Maranci <pmaranci_at_sunspot.tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:54:55 -0500 (EST)

        A subject that I've never seen covered adequately in RQ/Glorantha material is the qualifications necessary to be a Rune Master. I'm wondering because an idealistic (read: naive) Orlanthi character that I'm playing believes that he's doomed to walk the Hero Path, and so must attempt to become a Rune Master: both a Rune Priest and a Rune Lord.

        Unfortunately each role precludes the other. According to the RQIII Cults Book, "A candidate for Rune Lord may not be a shaman, a sorcerer, or priest." (page 19).

        Nor can he become a priest *after* becoming a Rune Lord: "A Rune Lord may not subsequently become a priest of any cult." (page 19).

        It is therefore impossible to become a Rune Master. Q.E.D.

        Looking at the Orlanth Adventurous writeup in _Cults of Prax_ for RQII, however, I see that "Rune Lords are urged to become Priests as well, when they meet proper requirements."

        Obviously we're dealing with a grey area. I'm wondering A) how others have handled this issue in their campaigns, and B) what the approach might be from a strictly Gloranthan point of view. Are Rune Masters only ordained by virtue of some amazing, Heroic feat or service to the cult? Are they the exception, or the rule? In RQIII it would be difficult to qualify for one role without qualifying for both, were they not ruled mutually exclusive. There should be more Rune Masters than either Priests or Lords. But I have always been under the impression that Rune Masters are fairly rare and impressive.

        Just wondering!

-->Pete

Editor, Interregnum RPG/Science Fiction APA/magazine -- email for info. Interregnum WWW home page: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/index.html FRP adventures, art and more: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/rq.htm

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #15