Dorastor and Rune Masters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:28:49 +1200

John Brown:

>Only when everything else is killed, dig up all the parts of
>Gbaji buried there and find a way to bury them in the Block
>somehow.

This presumes that it is Gbaji's body which is responsible for the Chaos in Dorastor. There is one part in the Yolp Mountains yet they are not known for being a hotbed of Chaotic Activity.

Rather I think the cause of Dorastor's current fame as Free and Fertile lies in Arkat's Curse of Cleansing and the subsequent God Learner meddling. Arkat's curse prevented the natural regeneration of the land. The God Learners in their investigation broke through the barrier between the worlds and allowed raw chaos to 'regenerate' the land.

But this is only IMO.

Peter Maranci:

> Unfortunately each role precludes the other. According to the
>RQIII Cults Book, "A candidate for Rune Lord may not be a shaman, a
>sorcerer, or priest." (page 19).

> Nor can he become a priest *after* becoming a Rune Lord: "A Rune
>Lord may not subsequently become a priest of any cult." (page 19).

> It is therefore impossible to become a Rune Master. Q.E.D.

This is tangentially dealt with in Gods of Glorantha.

First, many cults which have Rune Lords do not have Priests. Hence the rune lord gets the reusable divine magic in Cults like Humakt, Hunter, Storm Bull, Wachaza and Zorak Zoran.

If you follow the rules in Gods of Glorantha, a Rune Lord can attempt to become an acolyte. This allows him or her access to rune magic in addition to his lordly status. This allows Rune Masters in the cults of Krarsht, Seven Mothers and Yelmalio.

Finally some cults allow their rune lords access to limited reusable divine magic even though the cult has priests. This includes cults like Orlanth and Aldrya.

The only cult left out is the Sun Lord in the Yelm Cult which has no acolyte station and gets no reusable divine magic nor any 1d10 divine intervention. I always felt this was a bit silly and believed that some divine magic should be available.