Rune Masters

From: g.willoughby_at_ic.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:02:50 GMT

Hi All,

Peter Maranci asks about Rune Lords becoming Priests in RQ3. According to the RQ3 rules they can't, but they can become acolytes instead. So you have a Rune-Lord / Acolyte instead of a Rune-Lord /Priest.

In fact there are many religions where the prohibition does not apply. The best known one is Kiger Litor where it is perfectly possible for a Priestess to be a shaman *and* a soceror as well (in fact it's encouraged for them to be Daka Fal shamen).

In short, these general statements should be treated as an Orlanthi "all" i.e. they are true about 85% of the time.

IMO these restrictions were there to stop Players becoming too powerful, and can be interpreted as politics and tradition instead of absolute barriers.

Since for most Dragon Pass Cults (the one's we're most familiar with), a rune lord will very quickly have the requirements for Acolyte status, most of the difficulty in gaining that status will be in "convincing the examiners" i.e. playing the political game correctly.
This will go double for becoming a full priest - but I think that mythically powerful figures can do so.

Graeme Willoughby