Anachronistic Propaganda

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:56:52 GMT

mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie> he say:

> Propaganda is a bit anachronistic, surely? I can't really see a Goebbels
> figure swaying the masses in what is supposed to be the Bronze Age.
> Within the Glowline of course regular attendants at Lunar temples are
> going to get a serious dose of the party line.

I don't think so. The word Propaganda (if memory serves) derives from the Catholic Church's efforts in the early Rennaisance period to take control of and make organised use of the new printing technology to spread ('propagate') the Faith. Given that the Lunars have crude printing technology this is just the stage they are at.

> The problem with broadsheets or their predecessors (popular ballads) is that
> they open up politics to the general public by inviting
> them to have an opinion above their station.

Yes, indeed. I would expect the Lunar Office of Censorship and Printing to keep tight control on what is allowed to be published. When the proportion of the population that is literate starts to grow, the very nature of the political equation changes. And a large, urbanised population such as the Lunars have demands a large number of literate people.

> In a society where the
> political nation consists of the upper aristocracy only (i.e. anywhwere in
> Genertela except Wexten) this is a very risky thing to do. Even if you
> can be sure that the mob will take your side it's still playing with fire.
> It's much safer to keep the proles in the dark because what they don't
> know can't hurt them.

But the Lunar Empire, although it has an aristocracy inherited from the Darra Happans, is also a revolutionary state that has overlaid a culture that promotes from merit and listens to the proles on the original social infrastructure.

Under these circumstances, efforts to spread the Lunar Way and ensure internal political reliability become absolutely necessary.

> The Satar rebels are pretty desperate and represent popular feeling so it
> makes sense for them to encourage patriotic popular ballads.
>
> However, IMO Lunar efforts at concilliation in Sartar is aimed at people
> already involved in politics; tribal kings and national cult leaders. If
> they come across to Lunarism most of their followers will too. Romantic whig
> crap aside the Anglo-Saxons weren't democratic and neither are the Orlanthi.
> Illumination is by far the most powerful tool in the Lunar armory in that
> respect.Then you introduce Penal Laws to deal with recusant barbarians. Fine
> them something ridiculous say 10,000 L each for refusing to convert. Sell their
> land to mercenaries behind their backs. Ban them from using magic, owning
> horses, armour swords, ploughs etc.

Yep! That's the way to do it! (The fact that it didn't work for the British in Ireland is neither here nor there.....)

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.