Magic Theory

From: Andrew O. Mellinger <andrew_at_criticalpath.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 07:30:01 -0800 (PST)

Y'all,

This might seems rulesy, but bear with me:

I have Seshnelan campaign in progress. Needless to say, a few of the characters are wizards, and most know sorcery. Most of the people they fight know sorcery as well. So, in my quest to make the campaign enjoyable, and balanced I have had to do some tweaking to make the magic system (I am using Sandy's Sorcery) work. It has been a bear let me tell you. Like any good game system the mechanics have to emulate the theory and I have a hard time finding Gloranthan Magic Theory. There are lots of place that talk about what magic people people use and how the use it (character terms of the mechanics) but nobody seems to indicate why the mechanics are as they are.

For example:
- -What is range? Why is a spell effect by distance to someone? Is it
because he beleives it to be limited in range? Why does a Battle Magic user have range? Do magic spells degrade as they travel through air?

This kind of questions leads me to ask "What is a spell?" I'm not looking for the answers given in RQIII, GoG or others, but some basic gloranthan magic theory.

Any takers? (I imagine Nick Brooke is postulating an answer as he reads ;)

    _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/      Andrew O. Mellinger
   _/      _/  _/  _/           Critical Path Software, Inc.
  _/      _/_/_/  _/_/_/        mailto:andrew_at_criticalpath.com
 _/      _/          _/         Voice:   (503) 293-6340
_/_/_/  _/      _/_/_/          Fax:     (503) 293-6618