DH Judges unimpeachable?

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_wireless.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:27:27 EST

> From: "Carlson, Pam" <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
> Martin Crim writes -
> >I loved the Judge Dee stories, and second the notion of using them as a
> >basis for Kralorela. Note that Judge Dee would be executed if the
> >prisoner died under torture...
>
> I think this was a common theme in Hammurabi's laws, too. If a judge
> ruled wrongly or made a poor decision, he incurred large personal
> penalties. The laws left me wondering who would want to be a judge!
>
> I think the Dara Happan/solar sytem would not have such a strong judge
> penalty. By definition, a judge, who walks the path of Yelm, Keeper and
> Source of all Justice, CANNOT make an error.
> (Comments?)

On the contrary, a judge can be a False Yelm, just as there have been False Yelm emperors. Such vile abominations must be dealt with quickly, lest their injustice destroy all, like another Orlanatum! (Rebellius Terminus, whoever that Shadow Emperor was, fill in your own)

Of course, the "guilty" parties can't directly appeal the judgement, but their friends and family can petition higher authorities if it becomes *patently* obvious that an error has been made. For example, if the real murderer publicly confesses, without torture or coersion (usually as part of a Yelmic Auto-de-fe). This is the equivalent of a fumble on the judge's Politics roll, as it would usually be handled quietly, by the unguilty guilty party being pardoned by Yelm's mercy, or something like that.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #17