Re: Rune Masters; CD-ROM; law

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:55:26 -0800

Peter Maranci wondered of Rune Masters

> Unfortunately each role precludes the other. According to the
> RQIII Cults Book ... in _Cults of Prax_ for
> RQII, however, "Rune Lords are urged to become Priests as well ...

> Obviously we're dealing with a grey area.

Not at all. You're dealing an apples and oranges. The RQ3 rules supersede the RQ2 rules. They have eliminated the highly abusable Rune Master of RQ2. There is no such rank. Doesn't exist. Best you can hope for is to be a Rune Lord and an Acolyte (see Gods of Glorantha).

BTW, I'm sorry you don't have a Mac-compatible computer to make use of the TrueType rune font.

And speaking of computers, creating a CD-ROM of the archives would be easy (I for one have a CD burner, though the blanks are about US$9). The hard part is making sure it's usable from everyone's computers.

Don't forget that Icelandic law worked in a wonderfully Orlanthi society: "Nobody can make you do anything." There were no clan chiefs or tribal kings. There were men with respect, but none with authority. (Of course, in practice there were men people looked to for leadership.) I think most Orlanthi societies cede some authority to their leaders, so the legal system will be slightly different (for example, an Orlanthi chief would commit the judicial murder of anyone found guilty of consorting with chaos).

Finally, if anyone needs to mail me something, e-mail first for my new address.