Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #16

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 96 21:38 MET

Old Nick (Brooke) suggested:
>Is this a good time to think about ways of making the archive
>(and its previous incarnations with Andrew Bell, Henk Langeveld and Loren
>Miller's versions) more readily available? On CD-ROM with some kind of
>search routines attached, perhaps? Linking articles with HTML jumps??
>Indexing key words and themes???

It is a good time to get to work with this. Some thinking (and even a bit of work) has already been done, now and then.

However, even with the good signal to noise ratio (at least when I remain silent ;-) there is a lot of stuff stuck in unresolved discussions. While it is nice to fond these discussions, it would be nicer to get some results out of them, but who is to edit these?

Back in Henk's reign there was the Daily for discussions and first drafts, and then there was a Digest with more voluminous and less argumentative stuff, often edited from the Daily. While this was before general access to the WWW, it produced a more practical reference as long as it was tended. Nowadays, this stuff tends to end up on some WWW site, and results in private discussion only.

As for distributing the stuff on CD: Does there exist a complete collection of all the mailing lists concerned with RQ and/or Glorantha and related matters? My personal collection has been damaged by a disk failure or two, and I guess most other people's collections will have fared no better. I would be game for a CD with the zipped files only, already, or maybe some zip-drive medium with the full set.

If anybody is interested in starting serious work on this, I'll gladly join the effort, and contribute the results of an earlier attempt to follow the list which ceased along with a disk crash...

Joerg (one of the number-crushers, if not computer people)