Wheels

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 12:44:34 +1100

G'day all,

Gold Wheels

Someone asked what currency was used in Sun County apart from the unwieldy gold Wheel.

The answer is most people get by without day-to-day use of coin, and most taxes are paid in kind, not cash. However, gold Wheels are often split into conveniently smaller pieces, usually along the "spokes" of wheel on the reverse side (see the illo in 'Gods of Glorantha'). Thus you get halves, quarters and even 'pieces of eight'.

And, while the leaders of the County ostenatiously disdain using anything but gold coinage, the common folk are certainly less picky.

Gloranthan Law Codes

David Dunham:
>I know various Gloranthan legal systems have been discussed privately, but
>I don't think ever posted to the Digest. Hopefully someone who knows
>more can enlighten me.

Lookout for Notes from Nochet in the forthcoming Tales of the Reaching Moon #16 'Lunar Special'. We've got a number of groovy legal vignettes that Nick has MGF-morphed out of notes from Greg. Also in this issue is a scenario I wrote many years ago that turns on an obscure point of Dara Happan law - probably the only legacy of my (thankfully) aborted attempt to get a law degree...

Drugs of Glorantha Pt.3

Well, I launched this when the new digest seemed a bit quiet in its earliest stages, but there were no takers. Nevertheless, activity has certainly hotted up in the meantime on other topics! Here's my last offering:

Lunar Tea - The Lunar Empire
By MOB
Moon Rock has many magical and medicinal properties, and despite its rarity on the earth below, is used for a variety of arcane and therapeutic purposes by the Red Emperor and his high nobles. The lower orders too, can share in this somewhat, with the consumption of Lunar Tea. Lunar Tea is normal tea, imported from Porthomeka in the Holy Country or grown domestically in Holay, Aggar and Tarsh, mixed with a fine grey grit the sellers claim is crushed moon rock. Various medicinal properties are claimed for drinking Lunar Tea, but it is mainly drunk as a mild relaxant.

Most Lunar Tea is, of course, a crock - the grey powder is usually just crushed local stone with no therapeutic value whatsoever. Only in the richest Lunar households would a drinker be assured of getting the Real Thing.

Prices reflect the authenticity of the product - ranging from 15L a bushel to 175L.

That's all,

Cheers

MOB

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #20