Ogres and cannibalism

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:28:35 +1200

Philip Hibbs:

>IMO, Habitual eating of human flesh could result in transformation into
>an ogre, and eventually the stat gains as well, as the cannibal becomes
>more than human. They probably think that 'normal' humans are in fact
>watered down by all the crap food they eat, and that Ogre-level STR and
>CON should be the norm.

They could believe this and probably do but it's not the case with a large number of people. The Cannibal Cult of Prax eat human flesh and while they do get stat gains from doing so, they aren't ogres. Praxian humans are also know to eat mockpork from time to time and who knows what the Ignorants get up to in their Bloody Sun rites. There may be some tribes in Pamaltela that eat their dead as a sign of respect.

Therefore I think that becoming an Ogre represents a chaotic tainting of the spirit by Cacodemon rather than simple cannibalism. This taint allows them increased stats at the expense of their humanity.