Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #17

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:55:15 +0000 (GMT)

Mike Cule sez:
> I don't think so. The word Propaganda (if memory serves) derives from the
> Catholic Church's efforts in the early Rennaisance period to take control of
> and make organised use of the new printing technology to spread ('propagate')
> the Faith. Given that the Lunars have crude printing technology this is just
> the stage they are at.

Do the Lunars have printing presses? If they do then presumably they do have propaganda. However if Renaissance Europe is any guide printing press=sedition. There was a rather nice article about printing presses for WHFRP a few years ago.

> > It's much safer to keep the proles in the dark because what they don't
> > know can't hurt them.
>
> But the Lunar Empire <snip> listens to the proles on the original social
> infrastructure.

Point taken, same goes for Nick Brooke's welcome display of classical erudition. I still stand by my comments WRT recently conquered areas.

> > Then you introduce Penal Laws to deal with recusant barbarians.

> Yep! That's the way to do it! (The fact that it didn't work for the British in
> Ireland is neither here nor there.....)

It's also neither here nor there that it worked in England ;-)

Andrew O. Mellinger
> Like any good game system the mechanics have to emulate the theory
> and I have a hard time finding Gloranthan Magic Theory.

> This kind of questions leads me to ask "What is a spell?" I'm not looking
> for the answers given in RQIII, GoG or others, but some basic gloranthan
> magic theory.

Sandy Petersen said that sorcerers do magic by circumventing the Laws of Nature by using their own magical energy. Personally I'd recommend a look at "Magic in the Middle Ages" by Richard Kiekhefer. IMO Malkioni sorcery taps the auras of the true runes in much the same way as RW Astral Magi used the "cosmic emanations" of the stars.

I really liked James Frusetta's troll drugs. Warm salty water? Presumably this doesn't effect sea trolls, or does it? - ------
Andrew Behan