Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #22

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:41:24 EST

>From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
>Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:51:42 +1200
>Subject: The Riddle of Orlanth's Ring
>
>The association with Lokaymadon's
>lack of ability to take over the storm rune becomes obvious. The
>critical weakness that afflicted the heathen god in fronela might
>be explained if he was a storm god.

I never thought of this -- wish I had! Worlath would be the heathen god mentioned in this part of Cults of Terror?

>We can posit a similar dissappearance of Orlanth's ring when the God
>Learners enslaved Bingista and caused no wind to blow in Dragon Pass
>for two years until a settlement for peace was made. Of course when
>Orlanth's Ring reappeared, not only did Orlanth defeat Zistor but a
>Windless Typhoon wrecked havoc across the western lands.

I can't believe I never looked at Orlanth's Ring in relation to the God Learners. You have renewed my faith in the nature of Orlanth's Ring! So, the only missing piece is determinging when it disappeared again during the Third Age. And the defeat at Castle Blue is, of course, the obvious candidate. Perhaps the "wound in Orlanth" referred to is not _just_ the Red Moon itself, but also the missing Ring in the sky.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com