Becoming Mostali

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:22:08 +0000

> Philip Hibbs wrote:
>
> I propose that they would not want you to 'become' one of them, just to perform
> your own role in the world machine properly. They would educate (brainwash) you,
> and send you back where you came. Do you know many engineers who melt down
> hammers to make screwdrivers?

Actually, if a hammer is not to hand an engineer will use a spanner or whatever...
Lets face it engineers are always extremely pragmatic and practical so while
they prefer to use the right tool for the job they will make do with what they have.

While in theory Mostali would not want to waste their time on Humans some have
come to realize that the huge amount of damage the World Machine has sustained
and the very limited number of Dwarfs dictate that inferior tools must be used.

However, engineers do prefer to use the correct tool so Humans who want to become
Mostali would be religated to the most trivial tasks that "even a Human can do".
This policy pragmatically preserves the very limitted number of the skilled
Mostali workforce for more vital jobs whilst avoiding wasting training resources
on short-lived Human Mostali-wanabes.

Cheers

        Lewis