Man Rune/GFM

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:32:23 +0000

Various people have been discussing whether or not various races are descended from the Man Rune and/or Grandfather Mortal. I think that at least some of the confusion stems from equating GFM with the Man Rune. This is a mistake I believe, while most races regard Grandfather Mortal as being linked to the man rune I do not think that the two concepts are equivalent. One example is the worship of Grandfather Baboon which has no connection with the Man Rune at all.

The second problem is that the Rune are a God Learner construct, rather than a fundamental truth. Sure they are a useful construct that helps to describe the world but as they are not a fundamental truth they are bound to break down at some stage. Thus it is unsafe to wholey rely on them.

Then Mark Mohrfield, Sandy Petersen & Stephen Martin discus:

MM> When I pointed out that the Elder Secrets of Glorantha supplement
> stated that Dwarfs were not descended from Grandfather Mortal,
>

SP> It lies, or at least, it doesn't tell the whole truth.

I must agree as Apostate Dwarfs age!

SM> I disagree completely. I don't think this is just propaganda --
> they are a different order of matter, intelligence, and magic.
> I think that perhaps most Mostali were not even man-shaped.

			    ^^^^^^^

I totally agree WRT Mostali, however Dwarfs are a quick fix rather than the real thing. The idea behind Dwarfs was to produce a self replicating unit to increase the numbers in the Mostali workforce. The most efficient method was to incorporate the concept of growing inherant in a number of "Runes" the Man Rune shape was chosen for its versitality and easy use of tools. Of course thats how a GL would describe the situation, I doubt whether Dwarfs would agree.

SM> Greg even told Ken Rolston and I that ELVES are not really
> descended from the Man Rune, that this is a God Learner explanation
> for them.

Of course it is (it uses Runes doesn't it). It is pretty obvious that Aldryami are primarily Plants who have taken on the form of the Man Rune.

If elves aren't "human", I really doubt that dwarves are!
                 ^^^^^

At the very best the Man Rune only means Humanoid, even the GLs would never go so far as accusing Uz etc. of much humanity! I think that form, digestion and reproduction are the keys to the man (or any of the othr form runes).

My take is that where
Uz are "men" imbued with Darkness
and Aldryami are Plants with the form of Men Dwarfs are an amalgamation of Man with Stone.

Thus Uz operate roughly like barbaric humans, Aldryami are very much like plants which can walk, and Dwarfs are a curious mix of human with stone.

So there is a progression away from the Man Rune:

Human --> Uz --> Dwarf --> Aldryami

However, the progression is in 3 different directions! Also I am not too sure that humans are really in the centre.

So generally don't believe in runes too much, although they can be used to form a simplistic explaination.

Cheers

        Lewis