Dwarfs, Elves, & the Man Rune

From: Mmohrfield_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:21:19 -0500

I wrote

> When I pointed out that the Elder Secrets of Glorantha supplement stated
that
> Dwarfs were not descended from Grandfather Mortal, Sandy replied
>
>>It lies, or at least, it doesn't tell the whole truth.

Simon Phipp replied

>thanks. I don't particlularly believe it, though, since
>dwarves are immortal as long as they stay loyal to their >castes (but
>so are Vadeli and Brithini, hmm, time to rethink what being >tied to
>the Man Rune means - does it mean that you are mortal and >will die of
>old age unles you are particularly clever, or does it mean >something
>else entirely).

In the aforementioned conversation, I asked a very similar question. Sandy's reply to that was

>All mortals have to die because Grandfather Mortal died.
>The Brithini and Mostali are living a lie. Stick two inches of >steel
>into a Mostali in the right place, and see what happens.

Stephen P. Martin writes that he doesn't believe this and points out that  Greg Stafford once told him that even elves are not really descended from the Man rune. Wow! Even our two highest authorities seem to disagree on this one! Well, no one ever said that Glorantha wasn't confusing.

                                                                  Mark
Mohrfield