Man Rune, Brown Dragon, Oakfed

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 23:39:42 EST

Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk> Man Rune/GFM

>I think that at least some of the confusion stems from equating
>GFM with the Man Rune. One example
>is the worship of Grandfather Baboon which has no connection with
>the Man Rune at all.

I disagree, at least potentially. The baboons are widely regarded in Prax as a race of humans who betrayed Waha (or helped him), and were cursed (or blessed) to be less than men (more than beasts). If the latter one is a baboon myth, they could very well be Man rune linked.

>The idea behind Dwarfs was to produce a self
>replicating unit to increase the numbers in the Mostali workforce.
>The Man Rune shape was chosen for
>its versitality and easy use of tools. Of course thats how a GL
>would describe the situation, I doubt whether Dwarfs would agree.

At least, not publicly.

>So generally don't believe in runes too much, although they can
>be used to form a simplistic explaination.

Probably the wiests statement I have seen on the Digest, lo these many days I have been on it!

Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
 The Raising of the Brown Dragon: Participants

>Both Peter M and Jane W pointed out that it was most likely Kallyr who
led
>the raising of the dragon. I agree, but IMO Argrath was one of the
dancers.
>Two more were Jandetin the Avenger and Anstad of Dunstop, so that all
human
>nations of Dragon Pass were involved with their (future) leaders. With
>Orlaront and Minaryth Purple, there is only one place missing.
Suggestions?

Actually, two places missing -- I think Orlaront takes the place of the Green Star, as he is the one with Dragon Knowledge (capitalization intentional). It may be a bit too early to include Annstad of Dunstop, though perhaps not, especially if he is a nephew of Fazzur. Finally, I am not certain that Kallyr would have been one of the Dancers, even if she led it. This begs the question of which star she has the special relationship with. For example, if her special star is Stormgate itself, then she is not one of the Seven. She is, if you will, the Ginna Jar of the whole thing!

Given the timing, and the special relationship with nightmares, perhaps Argrath of Pavis is one of the Dancers.

Looking at pg. 169 of Kos gives us lots of candidates, anyways. I would rule out Enderos Quicktongue, as Minaryth is still going strong as the LM of the Ring. Orkarla the Black is a very good choice, for reasons related to the
dangerous-to-mention-on-the-Digest-for-fear-of-being-asked-about-its-status Heroes of the King project. And, given the Orlanth and Drolgard story's near-requirement of a Communicating companion, I would suggest Saronil Goldentongue. This leaves out a Trickster, but we are dealing with dragon magic, so I can live with that.

However, if Kallyr was in charge, this alters the mix completely. I note that the only two people we _know_ had to have been there, Minaryth and Orlaront, ARE listed as Companions of Kallyr. Something to think about.

<richardc_at_sypte.co.uk>
Oakfed Spirit Magic

>Having sorted out the formatting of Stephen Martin's Oakfed
>write-up I must say I enjoyed it. Humbly presented here are
>small tweaks to add a little flavour to the write-up.

Um, where are they? Seems like you have inherited _my_ file-inclusion curse. Hope I don't get it back....

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com