Drugs in fantasy worlds

From: Matthew Saroff <msaroff_at_erie.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:31:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

        While it is fun to do so, I that that there is WAY too much time spent on drugs here, and their use in the context of the game is excessive.

        In terms of use, if one looks at historical societies, the primary uses of intoxicants and hallucenogens are of a religious nature. The Amerindians who use peyote do so as part of a religious observance, wine is a sacrement, etc.

        In terms of the frequency, I simply don't believe that there are that many plant materials out there that would give these effects without killing you. Relatively safe mind altering substances are fairly rare in this world. If one lists the naturally occurring sources, we have: Alcohol, marajuana, peyote, psylocibin (sp?), morning glory (LSD).

        There are other substances that are occasionally used as such, like TTX, the neurotoxin from blow fish, which can cause some sort of an effect in VERY small doses, but you have to be VERY careful.

        Understand that I have no moral objections to their game use, but I find their application to be somewhat unrealistic.