Dragon Dance participants

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 22:51:03 +0000

Stephen P Martin:
> It may be a bit too early to include Annstad of Dunstop,
> though perhaps not, especially if he is a nephew of Fazzur.
Annstad is possibly the same person as "Unstey" (KoS160), "the king who did the Dragon Dance with the High King...". I wasn't aware that he was related to Fazzur: what have I missed?

>Finally, I am not certain that Kallyr would have been one
> of the Dancers, even if she led it. This begs the question of which
> star she has the special relationship with. For example, if her
> special star is Stormgate itself, then she is not one of the Seven.
> She is, if you will, the Ginna Jar of the whole thing!
Nice idea, but I suspect her special star is Polaris. The only direct reference I've found is at the end of the Saga (KoS38): "The Polestar, who ruled all of the sky now, sent his favourite lover to help. This was the Starbrow". A little mangled by time perhaps, but a connection of sorts. And the Polaris priest(-ess?) was directing the entire ceremony, so a Polaris connection would be very useful for redirecting it.

> Given the timing, and the special relationship with nightmares,
> perhaps Argrath of Pavis is one of the Dancers.
Given that "Argrath" is a title applied to many people rather than (or as well as?) a name, almost any of those present could be "an" Argrath?

> Looking at pg. 169 of Kos gives us lots of candidates, anyways. I
> would rule out Enderos Quicktongue, as Minaryth is still going
> strong as the LM of the Ring. Orkarla the Black is a very good
> choice, for reasons related to the
> dangerous-to-mention-on-the-Digest-for-fear-of-being-asked-about-its
> status Heroes of the King project. And, given the Orlanth and
> Drolgard story's near-requirement of a Communicating companion, I
> would suggest Saronil Goldentongue. This leaves out a Trickster, but
> we are dealing with dragon magic, so I can live with that.
I always assumed that Argrath's various companions were given in date order for each title (with the one in bold face being on the LBQ). So the first Communicating companion was Urenstand, killed at Dwernapple and therefore still around for the Dragon. Assuming that Argrath's companions had anything much to do with it, which I'm not at all convinced of.

> However, if Kallyr was in charge, this alters the mix completely. I
> note that the only two people we _know_ had to have been there,
> Minaryth and Orlaront, ARE listed as Companions of Kallyr. Something
> to think about.

Also look at who reacted afterwards: Kallyr and Moirades are the main participants. None of the Argraths get a look in until after she's on the throne. One of them may have been present, but not as a leader.

Benedict Adamson:
>My guess is that Jandetin was with the Lunars for the Lunar Ceremony.
>There are several (Yelmic) solar priests high-up in the Lunar
>hierarchy. I seem to recall that Jandetin dies when he does that
>dance, which is consistent with him being on the Lunar side. I tried
>estimating the date of his dance, by noting the known dates for events
>in the Grazelander annals amd interpolating, and it confirmed my theory.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I can't find a reference for him dying, though. KoS228 covers his mother (presumably?) helping him to become "warped, in shadow": pretending to be a Lunar sympathiser? and dates his dance to before the _next_ FHQ marries Argrath. KoS227 haaas Jandetin's own entry in the list of grazeland chiefs and seems to imply that he danced before he led invisible troops to slay an evil king. What reference have I missed?
But yes, as a Solar cultist he can't have been on the Ring. Someone must have been providing insider knowledge of what the Lunars ceremony was giong to be, and he seems like a good candidate. Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/home.htm