Population distributions

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 20:06:22 -0500 (EST)

Owen Jones asks:
>Is there anyone out there with concrete data on age >distributions for
nomadic hunter-gatherer communities?

The short answer is "no, not very good data." By the time anthropologists got to study the !Kung and other nomadic hunter-gatherers, they had been heavily affected by neighboring sedentary cultures.

In any case, I doubt you'd want to use those data because they depend on high infant mortality rates, lots of disease, and women dying in child birth. In Glorantha, those things are rarer. Violent death is very common, which keeps the population down. But violent death strikes young and old, when you think about the kinds of massacres that are likely based on historical and archeological models. So you could have the Red Bitch clan over here with 20 adolescent boys out of a population of 100, and the Silver Oak clan over there with 2 adolescent boys out of a population of 200.

My suggestion is to go with whatever number you want for story purposes, as almost any number is justifiable. If your characters insist on a census of the Balazarings, I wish them luck: it is not feasible. So the perfectly acceptable answer to the question "what's the average number of adolescents in a Balazaring clan in 1620?" is "nobody knows."