Drugs, Alchemy, etc.

From: Peter Maranci <pmaranci_at_sunspot.tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:57:41 -0500 (EST)

        Actually, there hasn't been that much done on drugs until the recent spate of activity. But although it's true that Glorantha isn't a single vast farm of mind-altering herbiage, nonetheless the plant life of Earth isn't necessarily a good guide. Our plant life has evolved to fit certain natural slots in the ecology, through a random process of natural selection. But the various forces of Nature in Glorantha aren't simply forces; to paraphrase James Blish, "they are also Persons".

        Perhaps Aldrya and the other gods have reasons for wanting to propagate mind-altering or magically potent plants in Glorantha.

        This brings to mind a point that I haven't seen covered much in the Digests: Alchemy. Some potions still exist in Glorantha, which in turn implies that someone is *making* these potions. But all information about alchemy was removed from RQIII. I understand that Greg disliked Blade Venom, but since potions still exist it seems logical that the means of their creation should be potentially available to players.

        Seems to me that would be a geas that would be broken a lot. How often would a Rune Lord know that he was going to be in combat next week?

                                                                -->Pete

Editor, Interregnum RPG/Science Fiction APA/magazine -- email for info. Interregnum WWW home page: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/index.html FRP adventures, art and more: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/rq.htm