re: Humakt's Luck; runes; strictures; Jandetin

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:41:10 -0800

Why does everyone assume that a Carmanian Hazar ("knight" to those of us who don't speak Carmanian) has to worship Humakt? There are plenty of other Carmanian war gods, such as Daxdarius.

Greg Stafford likes to tell the story of how he offered his gaming group (presumably full of Humakti characters) the chance to go on a Humakti heroquest whose goal was to meet Humakt. Nobody took him up on it.

David Cake wrote

> the God Learners adopted a runic system, designed to work with
> one set of magic, and adopted it to work with all sets of magic

Well, sort of. The runes of Dara Happa and of the Theyalan culture evolved separately, I believe, but there are some obvious similarities (circle=fire, square=earth, spiral=air). This is where the theory of "true" or underlying runes comes from.

Pam Carlson suggests Yelmic geases. I propose the word "stricture" so they sound different from Orlanthi geases (the sort I believe still exist in Ralios, but elsewhere are maintained only in cults like Humakt). I think they are different -- breaking an Orlanthi geas is really bad (it leads to your death), while violating a Yelmic stricture can be remedied with intensive purification.

Hmm, so you think there's a connection between the Eel-ariash clan (of Oronin) and BernEel Arashagern, who went to nearby Arir (I assume that's where Ariralves is; modern Doblian)? This would make BernEel Arashagern most likely the god of the Oronin River, i.e. Pelanda (and if it's really spelled that way, it would be a Pelandan word).

Jane Williams wrote of Jandetin the Avenger

> as a Solar cultist he can't have been on the Ring

Why not? Jardanroste Ring-Jewel managed to become a member of the Tarsh Ring.