estoretic topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:02:04 +1200

Pam Carlson:

>Bern Eel Arashgern - Darsen
>Vrimak - Rhliniddi
>Antirius - Oslir Valley?
>Everinus - Naveria ?
>Bijiif - ?
>Kazkurtem - ???

I place Bijiif in Darjiin because Plentonius describes him as the Rival which bears to mind his fixation with Darjiin Upsurpers and also because of the doubled 'i'. Kazkurtum is probably from Zarkos as Antirius faces the Other there and the picture of him in the GRAY is found in Darleep. Everinus is Naverian because he wears Naverian Dress on the wall.

Me>> Some of these [Parts] were part of the local sun cult, others
>> were not.

>Could well be - especially the draconic/fertility part. like Bern Eel
>Arashgern. But I think the whole construct was a blend of the
>philosophical and the geographic.

Two things. The concept of the six parts is probably part of standard Pelorian Lore since the Gray Age. This referred to the making of humans and not to Yelm or the Empire.

The Plentonic innovation was to draw a correspodance between the six major nations of Peloria and the six parts of the human body. Since Yelm's empire had disintegrated, what would his pieces look like? Plentonius makes up the obvious answer and justifies the Empire.

>Adding Vrimak seems to be an obvious
>attempt to blend in the ruling deity of a semi-subject people, (whose
>fierce augners had only recently been exterminated),

The Rinliddi were horse riders since the dawn. If you look at the cavalry on the top right hand side of the GRAY cover (the arming of Khordavu) then you'll see they are wearing bird-like helmets. Admittedly you'll have to use a magnifying glass.

>and perhaps Bern Eel reflects an attempt to win over the Pelandans.

Not win over. _Justify_ on religious grounds.

	'I rule in the name of Yelm.  When he was brutally slain
	by the God of Murderers, His Bird flew to Rinliddi and
	became known to you as Vrimak the High Flyer.  Since Yelm
	has been brought back together from his sundered parts,
	Vrimak is now part of Yelm, in whose name I rule.  Therefore
	it is only fit and proper within the sight of the All-Seeing
	Eye that you do as I say'

			Khordavu's Epistle to the Rinliddi.

But they already believe his claims because he has stopped the constant fighting in between the six nations and restored the (alleged) Empire of Yelm.

>But the others,
>Everinus, Bijiif, Antirius, and most definately Kaz, seem to be an
>attempt to describe various facets of a central deity. (Much like
>Orlanth has several aspects: storm, ruler, warrior, etc.)

But the problem is that Everinus is known in Naveria, not the Oslir valley and so it becomes difficult to make a joint 'central' cult out of the two. And likewise for Bijiif. More probably the Khordavu Dynasty relied on the Antirian Cult to look after the Oslir Valley, the Vrimak Cult in Rinliddi and so forth. The Kazkurtum Cult was a special case and I think the Zarkosites paid tribute to Dara Happan Priests so they could banish the evil Kazkurtum...

Benedict Adamson:

>My guess is that Jandetin was with the Lunars for the Lunar Ceremony.
>There are several (Yelmic) solar priests high-up in the Lunar
>hierarchy. I seem to recall that Jandetin dies when he does that
>dance, which is consistent with him being on the Lunar side. I tried
>estimating the date of his dance, by noting the known dates for events
>in the Grazelander annals amd interpolating, and it confirmed my theory.

Realizing that my memory on this was fading I looked up KoS p227

	Jadetin the Avenger defended his lands, and danced as the
	sun in the dream where the dragons of the world destroyed
	the murderers of his family.  He led his men, invisible
	in daylight, and killed the evil king.

The bit about someone dying as a result of the Dragon Dance refers to 'With Bitter Heart' (p228)

	She fought against her own sister, but was betrayed by the
	worm within herself.  When Jadetin the Avenger danced, she
	was slain when it ate itself out of her womb.

The line in Argrath's Saga that I was waffling about before is (p28):

	The Horseman of the Queen dashed into the land, invisible
	in the sun's rays, and they captured the [evil] king, and
	killed him.

This is in relation to the invasion of Tarsh circa 1630. The King is Moraides.

Recanting what I said before. Jadetin was involved in the Dragon Conspiracy and danced as the Sun. I don't think he was at the lunar ceremony for we know that a) Tatius the Bright was the Sun and b) he survives to be responsible for the death of Moraides which triggers of the Tarsh Civil War between the Fazzurites and the Phargentites.

Thus the deeds of his life refers to two seperate deeds. The Dancing as the Sun refers to the Dragon Dance whereas the Invisible Horsemen refers to the invasion of Tarsh in 1630.

Jane Williams:

On Jadetin:

>That makes a lot of sense to me. I can't find a reference for him
>dying, though. KoS228 covers his mother (presumably?) helping him to
>become "warped, in shadow":

I don't think 'With Bitter Heart' is Jadetin's mother as he is not mentioned as such. More probably I think her son was Jarsandron, Jadetin's predecessor. That is IMO of course.

Stephen P Martin:

>I once toyed with the idea of writing a Pentan's explanation of the
>Godswall (in the time when Sheng Seleris was Emperor of Dara Happa),
>naming the 100 or so demons which Sheng Seleris could control.

His demons? Nah, they are the subject gods of Peloria kneeling before the One True Emperor. You can even make out TakenEgi grovelling in servitude at III-16 right beside the Footstool of Raibanth.

[Orlanth's ring and dragon magic]

NW>>The Kralorelans also have a history of moving stars, so
>>at least they must have been aware of what was going on.

>Tentative discussions have suggested that Lokarnos/Wagon may have been
>the "star" moved by the Exarchs to complete their conjunctions, to cause
>the Dragon Godunya to Awaken with such a Shudder.

In Questlines (Farpoint Timeline) there is a dragon star which was moved by the Sun Heretics (I think) and drowned in the Celestial River. I thought the star the Exarchs moved was was that...

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #31