Sunstop & Spells

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:35:48 +0000

[Sunstop]

Stephen Martin & Peter Metcalfe

SM> To this day, Dara Happa has the same four seasons. However, this is
> awkward for the normally anal DHs, because it makes each season 72
1/2
> days long.

PM> So are leap years for that matter.
> And Pope Gregory's fudge makes me wince... :-)

Unfortunately, this is hardly comparing like with like as Poor Old Pope Gregory
had to try and fit his calendar to the orbital period of a large chunk of rock
(which is slowing down BTW). Whereas Gloranthan Calendars are based on mythology.

SM> Glorantha: Genertela says that nobody knows exactly what Nysalor did

> which was so different - no new art forms or architecture were
> introduced, etc. But something about his attempt to recreate the
Golden
> Age was different.

PM> But further on it said that all changes disappeared when the God died
> as was prophesized leaving only faint nostaglia and resentment for
his
> killer.

I think this *all* is probably the usual Orlanthi/FGS 85%. After all we known that Illumination still exists, the trollkin curse is still present etc.

SM> Additionally, "A Footnote on the Birth of Gbaji" (in Tales 8 and
> Dorastor: Land of Doom) says that men agree that Time was different
after
> the Sunstop, and that it was shorter -- men seemed to age faster.
Zzabur
> agreed that this was so, but basically said to live with it.

PM> It said the _days_ were shorter there!  Furthermore the source that

> only the Westerners noted (or complained about) the difference in
> the Sun's movement after the Sunstop is 'Cults of Terror'.

Well it entirely depends upon how you read this:

Literally:

Each day has less chronons in it.
Men live the same number of days.
Therefore men's lives are shorter.

Obviously, you would have to have an accurate (non-solar) time measuring device to notice this as has already been noted.

My Favourite Alternative:

Time has fundamentally changed.
Entropy works faster.
Men age quicker.