Chaosium's Official Statement re Oliver Jovanovic Allegations

From: BiturianV_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:07:30 -0500

Re: Oliver Jovanovic Allegations

Chaosium Inc. deeply regrets this tragedy, and offers this statement to help clarify the situation.

We have no professional relationship with Oliver Jovanovic, who was working for one of our contracted licencees. We do not know the concerned individuals and are unqualified to comment on them.

We would like to emphasise that no game has ever been shown to have any causal relationship with the type of activities alleged to have occurred. To suggest that hobby gaming, or even the Internet, plays any part in such behavior is to trivialize a great problem, and only deflects attention from the roots of true social ills.

We understand that certain New York newspaper reporters have been contacting RQ gamers and Glorantha fans, looking for information. Inquiries from the press, if they seem reputable, should be directed to Chaosium's president, Greg Stafford, at (510) 547-7681.

In general, Chaosium advises gamers and game stores who are confronted by the press or by concerned citizens to seek advice from Mike Stackpole at (602) 596-9777. Mike maintains an Industry Watch which is dedicated to tracking and responding to media misrepresentations of gaming.