Sacred Time and Parts of Yelm

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 15:44:13 +1200

Stephen P Martin:

Me>>One wonders how you account for the Pamaltelean Calender which
>>has four seasons and a Holy Week?

>And where is this information
>in print? I have a mental block when it comes to calendars -- if it ain't
>in Genertela, Glorantha Book, I can't seem to figure out _where_ it is!

In the Introduction to Glorantha book in the RQIII rules.

	Most Pamalteleans (with the exception of many coastal
	cities) use a four season period.  Each season consists
	of 72 days (12 weeks with six days each).  The extra six
	days, called Holy Weel, resembles the Sacred Time of the
	Theyalan Calender.

>It is even possible that the Sunstop only lasted a week for the Doraddi
>-- I did mention this possibility previously.

The trouble here is that the year lengths would have to be the same for all people before the Sunstop. If the Sunstop lasted six days for the Doraddi and fourteen for the World Council then by your theory we have the Doraddi acknowleging a 288 day year and the others a 280 day year.

The Sunstop could have caused a change in the nature and length of Sacred Time; ie before the Sunstop the Sacred Time of all the participating cultures in the creation of Nysalor were of differing periods - afterwards they were harmonized as fourteen days. This would have some spillover in the other cultures, viz-a-viz western complaints who notice that their Sacred Time celebrations are somehow different in quality and start complaining about the change in time.

>BTW, is there somewhere in print where it says that the Doraddi recognize
>a SIX day week, rather than the normal seven. I can't for the life of me
>figure out where I got this from.

From a past digest posting by Sandy, the six days are Stone, Chieftaness, Gata, Witch, Goddess and Pamalt. The four seasons a re Rain, Sky, Shadow and Storm.

David Dunham:

>Hmm, so you think there's a connection between the Eel-ariash clan (of
>Oronin) and BernEel Arashagern, who went to nearby Arir (I assume that's
>where Ariralves is; modern Doblian)? This would make BernEel Arashagern
>most likely the god of the Oronin River, i.e. Pelanda (and if it's really
>spelled that way, it would be a Pelandan word).

Not actually specified as such. The Fortunate Succession (p74) states that its worship is centred in Darsen. I believe this is a reference to the Temple of Kassa (Uleria) mentioned in the tale of FaElsor and the Serpent in the Entekosiad. There a serpentine diety called Ursturburn was subdued by the female goddesses there.

Nick Effingham:

> Is there a version of Yelmalio in Grazer Myth?

No.

> As for Antirius; I think he is a seperate cult in his own right,
>and not part of the Yelm hierachy. His cult seems far too distinct
>and seperate from Yelm in GRoY. He seems to be a being in his own
>right.

Antirius _was_ a seperate cult. In the Ten Priesthoods of Anirdavu the Humble, he is second only to Dayzatar and statements imply that he was thought of as the Sun prior to the Sunstop. However that list does not mention Yelm. So it is probable to assume that at the time of the GRAY there was no Yelm Cult in a God Learner sense.

After the Sunstop, the Antirius cult seems to undergo a dramatic change in emphasis from 'a bright new diety who was spreading his light on everyone, Emperor, Noble and Commoner alike' in Khordavu's time (FS p81) to 'a personal guardian god of the Emperor' (FS p72) in Ordanestyu's time (ie after Nysalor was evilly murdered). Although Antirius did protect the Emperors before this, there is no mention of a widespread cult of Antirius _after_ the Sunstop.

So what happened to the myriads who joined the Cult of Antirius? My belief is that after the Sunstop, most of its functions were transferred to the Yelm Cult. This probably occured IMO during the Ordanestyuan reformation when the Temple to Yelm in Raibanth is built for the first time.

A Yelm Imperator cult did exist prior to this (since the Sunstop) but it as now was confined to Nobles. But after Ordanestyu, the urban commoners considered themselves to be Yelm Worshippers even though the purists might quibble that they are not.

Pam Carlson:

Me>>I place Bijiif in Darjiin because Plentonius describes him as
>>the Rival which bears to mind his fixation with Darjiin Upsurpers
>>and also because of the doubled 'i'.

Unfortunately the doubled 'i' is not very strong. There is a Hariij in Pelanda which I found out the other night.

>Yes - Harald Smith had thought this too, and asked Greg about it. But I
>think Greg said he wasn't at all sure that Bijiif was the Darjiian sun
>god - rather that Manimat was.

I don't believe Bijiif is a sun god, he is a Part of Yelm which is not the same thing. Likewise Kazkurtum is not a Sun God and I don't think that Berneel is one too.