Yu-Kargzant, Six Parts of Yelm

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 02:46:47 EST

Whew! Three digests in one day is a bit much to reply to -- good thing the first one was just me and Martin Crim!

wal_at_eff.u-net.com (Nick Effingham)
Yu-Kargzant/Writings

> Is there a version of Yelmalio in Grazer Myth?

Certainly! We just don't really know who it is. But upwards of 90% of Gloranthan human cultures, and many non-human ones, will give Lightfore a very special place in their mythology.

Looking at KoS, I would have to suggest either one of the sons of Yu-Kargzant, probably Jardan the Warrior (for obvious reasons), or else the Horsebreaker himself. I would vote for Jardan the Warrior, myself.

And yes, I myself am certain that shamanism is an integral part of Grazer culture. And, as with the Praxians, I would make them a part of Yu-Kargzant's cult. In their semi-primitive society, it makes sense to put them under Josad the Elder.

> As for Antirius; I think he is a seperate cult in his own right, and
not
>part of the Yelm hierachy. His cult seems far too distinct and seperate
from
>Yelm in GRoY. He seems to be a being in his own right. Plus, can
"common"
>people join Antirius? This may provide some link to the Dara Happans
unable
>to join Yelm because of their lack of noble blood.

Antirius may once have been a separate cult, but The Fortunate Succession makes it pretty clear that it no longer is. As for noble blood affecting Antirius worship, that could go either way. Avivath cannot be seen by nobles, and he is the avatar of Antirius. But, Antirius is the Protector of Dynasties; his body makes up The Solemn Cloak of Majestic Glory (under 100 or so names). This puts him pretty firmly in the worshiped-by-nobles class.

"Carlson, Pam" <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
BernEel Arashagern

>BERN EEL / ARASHGERN
>D Dunham:
>
>I think it _is_ Pelandan. Bern Eel as a river is interesting... any
>ideas on Arashgern? That name sound more Dara Happan. Perhaps A. is
>Naverian?

More insider information -- originally, BernEel and Arashagern had different runes to represent them. And not just in the Pelandan fashion of ideograms. I don't have a map in front of me -- does the Oronin River have two major tributaries?

>__________________________
>YELM PIECES PARTS
>
>Nice post on Yelm's parts/Empires parts, Peter. Made a lot of sense,
>and eloquent, too!
>

PM>>I place Bijiif in Darjiin because
>
>Yes - Harald Smith had thought this too, and asked Greg about it. But I
>think Greg said he wasn't at all sure that Bijiif was the Darjiian sun
>god - rather that Manimat was. But, Bijiif could be more of an
>underworld deity in Darjiian. Unless they think maybe that Bijiif is the
>underground sun that comes up during the day?

Bijiif may be exactly to the Manimati what he is to the Dara Happans -- the God of the Sun when he is in the Underworld. I think the origin of Manimat as a Sun God is later than Plentonius, an effort to legitimize Darjiin claims on the throne. I think Manimat originally was the Darjiin deity of the planet Lightfore. After all, he led his people through the Darkness -- isn't that what the Little Sun always does?

>>The Rinliddi were horse riders since the dawn. If you look at the
>cavalry on the top right hand side of the GRAY cover (the arming of
>Khordavu) then you'll see they are wearing bird-like helmets.
>
>Did not the Jenarong wipe out the augners, around the dawn? I'd assumed
>the Rhinliddic horses were drawn ca. 300ST.

Also, nowhere in GRoY does it say they were horse-riders. All it says is that they used the Jenarong Rites. While the avilry was probably near-extinct before the Pentan horse riders and/or the non-related Hyalorings completed the job, I don't think Rinliddi was a major horse culture anytime soon thereafter.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com