Runie Yelmie's Fireblade Goes Pftuz

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:14:13 +1100

G'day all,

Runie Yelmie's Fireblade Goes Pftuz

Peter Maranci:
>* Pam Carlson wrote (regarding Yelm Rune Lord geasa to reuse Rune magic):
> Remain celibate one week before combat - Fireblade does extra damage
>
>Seems to me that would be a geas that would be broken a lot. How
>often would a Rune Lord know that he was going to be in combat next
>week?

Er, precisely! When I read this I thought, what a fantastic geas! What a great way to encourage chastity (and mark them with shame if they fail!), not only for the upper echelons, but throughout the ranks! I for one am adopting this geas for the Sun Domers right now!

Matthew Gets High on Drugs

Matthew Saroff complains:
>While it is fun to do so, I that that there is WAY too much time
>spent on drugs here, and their use in the context of the game is
>excessive.

This is but a recent thread on the Digest, and in keeping with most threads here, it will carry on for a while and the die a natural death, other topics arising to take its place.

I for one find this topic immeasurably more interesting and MGF-related than some of the more esoteric debates also running at present (eg. wacko stuff about time running faster, people ager slower or whatever it is, before the Sun Stop). However Joerg, Stephen, Peter and the other scholars can argue about this nonsense until the cows come home: I'll just cheerfully ignore them.

Matthew, you might want to avert your eyes!

MOLHAUTI VENOM - Teshnos
By MOB (from an idea by Mark Holsworth)

The Molhauti is a small species of snake that lives along the lush waterways of Teshnos. Molhauti snakes are sleek and attractive, distinctive for multi-coloured bands circling their bodies. Molhauti are said to have been created as playthings by the volcano god Solf, long before he burnt himself out.

Molhauti are venomous, and can control the potency of their venom (POT 1 to 24). The venom POT is matched against the victim's CON: ifsuccessful the victim loses the equivalent number of general hit points. If the victim resists the venom, he feels a brief jab of intense pain, followed by a sweet sensation described by some addicts like that of being born again. The bite leaves two tiny puncture marks, which must heal naturally.

Several cults and a number of secret societies in Teshnan cities of Dombain and Glo use Molhauti venom in their initiation tests - if the candidate survives the bite, he is allowed to join. In addition, many Malhauti addicts live in various places across land, usually keeping their own pet snake. These snakes are trained to inject only a relatively harmless dose, and if kept well-fed are usually fairly placid creatures.

Addicts gain a degree of tolerance from Molhauti venom through repeated exposure, though their bodies are often covered with tiny bitemarks slowly scabbing over. In the lush heat of Teshnos this makes clothing uncomfortable, and naked Molhauti addicts are a common sight lounging at the gateways of towns and cities across the country, each with a little snake curled about them somewhere.

Unfortunately, addicts tend towards obesity, and over time the venom dulls the senses and thickens the tongue. Male addicts also often become painfully, if uselessly priapic. No wonder then that the indolent volcano god Solf is often depicted as a fat Malhouti addict, little snake and all.

Addicts must be bitten at least daily, and some prefer to be bitten many times more. If a daily injection is missed, the skin around the addict's most recent bites begins to suppurate and peel off, spreading to other parts of the body as the weeks progress. This continues until the addict is a mass of festering sores, until he is bitten again or until he succeeds in breaking his addiction (by making successive CON x1 rolls three days in a row).

Malhauti venom quickly loses its potency after leaving the snake, and therefore cannot be bought separately. The snakes can be bought in any Teshnan city for 5- 25 wheels. Priests of Solf claim to sell the most docile of the snakes, ideal for addicts (often the snakes themselves are just drugged by the vendor to dupe the buyers). The snakes rarely grow much longer than half a metre, and like be fed at least monthly. They eat anything small and live, preferring fish.

James Frusetta:

 >Actually, though I've posted to the drug thread, I've never personally had
 >a character use (non-alcolohic) drugs, and only a few times had PCs I was
 >GMing do it.

I had loads of fun at RQ Con II GMing my RQ tournament 'Mad Prax - Beyond Sundome" which used an otherwise stauch and upright veteran militiaman's hazia addiction ("I only took the stuff to ease the pain from me gammy leg") as a vibrant subplot. As I recall, certain amber-coloured intoxicants were passing around the table too, and we ended up using the bottle-caps as a weird approximation of dice because no one brought any...

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes From Nochet files:
(XXIX.12-62/aphorism)
You know, it's been lonely in the saddle since the horse died.