Little Suns, Rinliddi and Youf stars

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:09:01 +1200

Stephen P Martin:

>I think the origin of
>Manimat as a Sun God is later than Plentonius, an effort to legitimize
>Darjiin claims on the throne. I think Manimat originally was the Darjiin
>deity of the planet Lightfore. After all, he led his people through the
>Darkness -- isn't that what the Little Sun always does?

Well the little sun, Lightfore, didn't rise until some time later so if The Darjiinites were venerating anyone during the Great Dawn, it would have been the planet Kargzant. It's not stated when Lightfore arose, but my best guess is after the Dawn.

However come the Dawn and the rising of the Sun, I think they and a lot of other people would have then transferred the cult of the 'little sun' to the Sun on the grounds that the since the 'little sun' is on the opposite side of the Heavens as the Sun, it is their [Little Sun God] come to life.

So in Darjiin, the cult of Manimat and Bijiif IMO were one and the same (since Bijiif gives protection against the night). When the Sun rose at the first Dawn, the Darjiinians decided that this was Manimat come again. Since this makes Bijiif the God of Lightfore, this fits in well with Plentonius claiming it to be a Part of Yelm, don't you think?

[Beware Rinliddi riding Horses]

>Also, nowhere in GRoY does it say they were horse-riders. All it says is
>that they used the Jenarong Rites. While the avilry was probably
>near-extinct before the Pentan horse riders and/or the non-related
>Hyalorings completed the job, I don't think Rinliddi was a major horse
>culture anytime soon thereafter.

Emperor Kestinendos who was also Bright Eagle Lord was seen by the World Council Forces as a horse rider according to the Broken Council Guidebook. He was also ruling when the slaughter of World Council Missionaries by Ruling Horse Khans took place in 167 ST, an atrocity which led to his death in battle. The situation is complicated by the apparent flip-flop between horse and chariot emperors and also the presence of the Horse Riders in Darjiin before their defeat at Argentium Thi'rile which is strange...

So if the majority of Rinliddi Warriors were foot, the Arming of Khordavu and the activities of some of the Bright Eagle Lords does indicate that some of them did ride horses. So IMO there was an elite horse riding nobility among the Rinliddi.

[Orlanth's ring and dragon magic]

>>In Questlines (Farpoint Timeline) there is a dragon star which was moved
>>by the Sun Heretics (I think) and drowned in the Celestial River. I
>>thought the star the Exarchs moved was was that...

>I have actually never received a copy of Questlines.

The relevant text is on page 63:

  1. Karladran Noglash and the Sun Demons move the Youf Star northwards so that it is drowned by the Sky River Titan.

The dating is a bit unsure as the next entry is about Fogarth Toothaxe stealing the sacred Ormsword in 1024, so the drowning of the Youf star probably took place in 1012 or 1022 ST IMO.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #34