Yu-Kargzant; Yelm strictures

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 14:11:01 -0800

Nick Effingham wrote

> this is my interpretation of the Grazer Sun God, Yu-Kargzant.
>
> Dastal the Hunter (Yelm the Youth)
> Hyalor Horsebreaker (Yelm the Warrior)
> Sun Rider (Sun Lord)
> Fire Rider (Yelm Imperator)
> Henird the Leader (A shaman caste; do these exist in Grazer society?)
> Josad the Elder (Yelm the Elder)
>
> I think that Jardan is a seperate cult. I also think that Hyalor may just
> be a sub-cult of Arandayla. Note that when you reach the level of Sun Rider
> you are no longer associated with another deity -- this would indicate the
> honor of some form of direct contact and link with Yu-Kargzant.

As I interpret the Yu-kargzant cult, there's a deity for each of the age groups:

Dastal (Rider age group)
Jardan (Warrior age group)
Henird (Leader age group)

Josad (Elder age group)

I treat these something like subcults of Yu-kargzant, who is directly worshipped only by the king and perhaps clan chieftains.

Hyalor is the god of outsiders. Men who aren't Grazers by blood worship him. Just as he breaks horses, he introduces outsiders to Grazer ways.

The Golden Bow society is distinct from the cult of Jardan. They are the elite warriors, and this group is probably cross-clan (i.e. tribal) to a degree.

There are definitely shamans in Grazer society; I place them outside the age group system. And I don't see them as having their own deity. They would of course be able to contact great ancestors like Vuranoste son of Hendroste.

See <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/grazelands.html> for more.

Steve Martin answered

> > Is there a version of Yelmalio in Grazer Myth?
> >
> Certainly! We just don't really know who it is. But upwards of 90% of
> Gloranthan human cultures, and many non-human ones, will give Lightfore a
> very special place in their mythology.

Isn't Kargzant the Lightfore planet? Kargzant showed up erratically during the Darkness but was eventually discerned as being regular and on the Sunpath. (Yu-kargzant is probably a transferral of many of his attributes to the greater sun.) I can interpret GRoY as being more politically motivated, and simply a retitling of a heavenly body from Kargzant to Antirius or Lightfore.

Peter Maranci wrote

> * Pam Carlson wrote (regarding Yelm Rune Lord geasa to reuse Rune magic):
> > Remain celibate one week before combat - Fireblade does extra damage
>
> Seems to me that would be a geas that would be broken a lot. How
> often would a Rune Lord know that he was going to be in combat next week?

He probably wouldn't, so he'd be as celibate as possible. Kind of like the way many of the kosher laws are applied far broader than the letter of the law suggests.