Re: Minaryth Purple

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 08:51:55 +0000

> From: "Beyke, Maurice A" <mabeyke_at_ingr.com>

> ... In fact, my wife's character, an Issaries peddler, has
> had the hots for Minny (as she calls him), and has managed to seduce
> him, so any personal info about the Grape Sage would be welcome also
> (I have described him as Sean Connery in "The Rock", before the
> trim).

The best description I know of is in Wyrms Footprints, in the High Council writeup. No physical description as far as I know. I'd guess that his social skills would have improved between 1613 ad 1625: I can't imagine anyone falling for him otherwise.

Any hazard as guess as to why "Purple"? My vague ideas have him, in hsi younger adventuring days, spending all his share of the loot on expensive clothes when the rest were buying armour and spells. (Purple is an expensive dye). But where does that leave our diary-keeping friend from KoS, Minaryth Blue?

> Which leads me to another point. My current gaming group consists
> of three men (including myself) and four women (three couples, plus
> a uncoupled female friend). I find myself in a position I've never
> been in before, with twice as many female players as male, and
> having my GMing skills (meager as they are) stretched to
> accommodate. Never before have I had so many requests for physical
> descriptions, including details of dress and grooming, constant
> requests for romantic liaisons, great combats bypassed by bribery,
> skullduggery, and negotiation. I must say, it's more fun than I've
> had GMing in a while, but I would welcome any and all advice from
> anyone who has been in similar circumstances. As well as physical
> descriptions of various Gloranthan luminaries.
Sounds like a perfectly normal game to me....! No, seriously, the switch I had to make once I got my players trained was from thinking of an NPC as a cardboard means of handing over a bit of information or whatever, to being a real person with their own motivations and possible later interaction. I knew my game had come alive when they took such a dislike to a bit-part NPC that they insisted on spending the next session tracking him back to base, investigating his family, and finally disposing of him. (At a dinner party. Combat?) If I'd thought of the guy as a person, not as a plot hook, I wouldn't have been taken by surprise. I was already taking this approach to major NPCs, of course, but didn't realise it had to apply to all of them.
Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/janehome.htm