South Peloria, Camels and Rams.

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 20:56:18 +1200

Jane Williams:

>Camels. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Mother Mammal was
>frightened by Boggles and produced a camel as a result. So where on
>Glorantha would I find a camel?

Bliss in Ignorance IMO. The Bactrian (two humped) Camel lives in colder climes than the dromedary and is found in Central Asia, Tibet and Mongolia. The gloranthan analogue is Bliss in Ignorance which is known for being pretty strange.

As for the Arabian Camel, ie the desert dromedary, would logically be in the Wastelands. But they are not one of the major tribes. So my guess is a lost and or hidden tribe.

David Millians:

> Does anyone know of any good sources of information on the regions
>between Tarsh and the Lunar Heartlands? I am especially interested in
>Holay. Even the digests seem to have said little over the years about
>these areas. They certainly lie in the path of interesting events, if not
>at their center.

No comprehensive information as such. It's all splattered about six or seven different sources (the Genertela Book, Dorastor, the Lunar Wane Chronicles, KoS, Fortunate Succession etc).

DARA NI: The capital of this is Thubana and it is mapped in the

        map of Dorastor & Talastar but only very vaguely. It is settled by people from Alkoth so I expect the locals to be a wee bit bloodthirsty at times. They intervened in Lakrene recently and now count it as one of their own territories.

HOLAY: A Queendom that seems to be heriditary.

IMTHER: Harald Smith knows a lot more about this area that I

        do. He's put out two issues of the New Lolon Gospel detailing the land.

LAKRENE: The most civilized land in Talastar (which isn't

        saying much). It had been largely lunarised before the rest of Talastar was converted in the White Shirt Day of 1590. They then tried to create a kingdom of Talastar with themselves as rulers but the Bilini revolted. As a result of this, they ended up becoming ruled by the Dara Ni.

SYLILA: One of the Heartland Sultanates. It consists of the

        lands of Terarir, Dara Ni, Lakrene and the Sylilan Hills. It is ruled by the Errio-Unit clan.

TERARIR: Technically part of the Sylilan Sultanate, this is the

        river valley surrounding the city of Jillaro. In ancient times, the city was known as Nivorah and the lands known as Saird. Saird is now used to refer to the plains _south_ of the Imther Mountains.

VANCH: Contains the Hills of Gold which are important in South

        Pelorian Mythology. It's not very hot on the Yelmalio religion as we know that there is no Sun Dome Temple in Vanch or near the Hills of Gold.

> The Dara Happans war with the Ram People. The Ice Age follows
>soon thereafter, and the Dara Happans place a great ram at the leading
>point of their protective dome with significant effect. Do you think
>there is any link between these two rams?

I take it you only have the Fortunate Succession. According to the GRAY, the Ram People worshipped a huge iron ram which they towed about on wheels. It is this ram which Urvairinus won in battle that was said to be placed on the Roof of Manarlavus.

Thus sayeth Plentonius. Personally I think he's making it up here as one is left with the curious question of exactly how a neolithic culture managed to find a great big idol made from _iron_ and invented _wheels_ to cart it around?

I think the true identity of the Ram symbol of Manarlavus's Roof goes back to the Six Parts. Although the GRAY does say that the maps in it were added and not in the orginal, I think Plentonius is working with oral or written material containing similar information.

Hence Plentonius's sources apparently placed the Other(*) portion of the Empire at the north of the Empire. This confuses him for he doesn't know of any beast worshipping people up in the far north unlike the Uryardan Goat Herders of Anaxial's Time and the Ram People during Urvairinus's reign. So Plentonius concocts the story of the Iron Ram.

But it is known now that the Eferventes who herd reindeer lived in the far north. The Darjiinites apparently learned the custom of wearing trousers from them and the Bleak Times Pelandans feared the Reindeer Demons. Hence what his sources indicated and what Plentonius failed to understand was that the Reindeer People were 'part of the empire' when Manarlavus was Emperor.

(*) Yes, the Other Portion. The Beast Portion belongs to the

     Selagern if you think I've got it wrong.