Minaryth Purple, Gloranthan Games

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 15:02:27 EST

"Beyke, Maurice A" <mabeyke_at_ingr.com> Why Purple?

Jane>>>Any hazard as guess as to why "Purple"?

>I've been waiting for this question. I've thought for a while that
>this is another of Greg's puns, and keep waiting to hear of Minny
>taking on a bunch of young scribes, the New Writers of the Purple
>Sage, as it were.

I would not put such an abominable pun past Greg. If he had thought of it when writing KoS, I am sure he would have put these guys in. Still might, somewhere.

brosen_at_lodge.df.lth.se (Bo Rosen)
I have a dream

>Something I've wanted to play for several years is a Civilization -
>Master of Magic etc type of game with Glorantha as a setting.

This idea has been bandied around Chaosium for years, ever since Raiders and Traders came out. Most recently, Ken Kaufer has been working on a Civilization style game. Probably too close to the Avalon Hill game for comfort, I imagine, but the idea is there. There was an old game called Mythology, where each player played one of the ancient Greek Gods, which had a similar theme. You moved your heroes around the board killing hydras and finding Golden Fleeces, making earthquakes and storms, etc. It would indeed be a cool game.

If someone had the time to sit down and do it, yes, it is very easily doable. As long as you ignore the God Plane. If you want to include the God Plane separately from the mundane world, to where you have a second map, it is not.

As I envision the game, you would have a Civilization-style board, counters for worship and troop units, and cards for any number of things. Do the gods have the ability to cause Earthquakes and stuff if they have enough worshipers? How do you do things like the Sunstop and Closing?

Does some player play Malkion to control the Westerners?

A lot to think about, especially with David Hall's recent announcement. I have only briefly seen Ken Kaufer's game map, at RQCon II in San Francisco. No idea how much he has done on it, how derivative it is, or how much work it still needs. Anyone out there got more info?

Since the Dragon Pass-style game for the Holy Country has died, I am free to help someone who begins work on such a game, if they'd like.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com