Orlanthi Spiritual Journey

From: Peter Maranci <pmaranci_at_sunspot.tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 03:00:08 -0500 (EST)

A QUESTION:         I have a situation I'd like to hear some thoughts on:

        A deeply devout Orlanthi Initiate who is likely to qualify for Wind Lord status within two or three years (and who is already qualified to become a priest or acolyte) has suddenly realized that he is seriously lacking in a key Orlanthi virtue: independence. He's a paragon of faith and bravery, but in every situation his instinct is to pray and ask his priest for guidance. Since he feels that his duty is to become as close to a perfect Orlanthi as possible, he was deeply disturbed by the revelation of his spinelessness.

        His instinct is to go up by himself into the mountains on a sort of personal spiritual pilgrimage, and not to return unless he reaches some sort of peace with himself.

        Has anyone dealt with solitary spiritual journeys in Glorantha? I'd like to hear about them. This isn't (necessarily) intended to be a HeroQuest, though the character has done some questing before. The goal, rather, is some sort of spiritual enlightenment. He does not intend to come back as the same person who started the trip -- if necessary, he'll die rather than fail.

        I'm particularly interested in game-related ideas. Please note that this is a PC which I play, so suggestions that depend on ignorance on the part of the player probably won't work. Since this is part of a round-robin campaign, advice and opinions from uninvolved people is especially useful.

RQ PAGE:         On a separate note, a major system crash and the death of my main hard drive have delayed the update of my RQ page. I hope to get new material online soon, hardware permitting. Apart from the previously-announced material, I am working on a large new Glorantha adventure which continues the thread from "Three Flowers" and "Lost Child".

-->Pete

Editor, Interregnum RPG/Science Fiction APA/magazine -- email for info. Interregnum WWW home page: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/index.html FRP adventures, art and more: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/rq.htm